Château de Purnon is a vast estate located near Verrue, a village of 400 residents, situated just south Loire Valley on the edge of the Forest of Scévolles. A grand alley of 3km traverses the forest and provides a monumental view from the château grounds.
Purnon was constructed between 1772 and 1791 for Antoine-Charles Achard, Marquis de la Haye (1737-1816). The château is built in a classic French style flanked by two enormous outbuildings made in tufa stone and ochre plaster with remarkable charpente in the style of Philibert de l’Orme. In 1893, the château was purchased by the Marquis de Rochequairie whos family sold it to it’s current owners in 2020.
The château and the two main outbuildings, the dry moat and terraces as well as the northern entrance gate are all classified as Historical Monuments since May 10, 1995. The Moulin Bigeard, the potager garden and it’s pavilion, the Eolienne Bollée and its reservoir were listed as Historic Monuments on December 11, 1992.